Nate and I went to our very first town hall meeting this weekend with Representative Jay Inslee, on healthcare reform. What an experience!! I had an idea of what to expect after seeing highlights for the past several weeks of right-wing crazies yelling lies they’ve heard on Fox News, rather than trying to hold a civil conversation. However, experiencing it first hand exceeded ALL of my expectations!
From the moment that we arrived, my blood immediately began to boil reading the ignorant signs made by people who simply take Fox News at their word, rather than thinking for themselves. One sign actually said “Say No to Socialism”, and I couldn’t help but laugh out loud because she was holding this sign inside a public-school gymnasium (socialism), and she had arrived at the meeting driving on public roads (socialism). I wonder if she thanked the policemen that were present to assure everyone’s safety (socialism). Furthermore, the type of bill being proposed isn't even socialized medicine! Do these people really not do any research on their own?
Another sign was being held up by a woman that read “I Vote the Constitution”, and it was a statement made by another person present at the meeting. This is always humorous to me considering the fact that at the time that the original constitution was written, only wealthy white men who owned property could vote! Luckily under Article 5 of the constitution, it can be altered when needed (amendments), for example women’s suffrage and the abolition of slavery. I’m a firm believer that in an ever changing world, we simply cannot continue to be fully governed by a document that was written in the 1700’s, which is NOT to say that I don't appreciate our founding fathers and the work they did to ensure that I could live in this great country, but if they really thought that this document should never be changed, they wouldn't have implemented Article V in the first place. Ok. Moving on.
Luckily, we must have picked the correct spot to sit, because not long after we arrived, we were surrounded by 5 of the cutest ladies that carried signs saying “Senior Citizens for Healthcare Reform”, “Protect Women’s Healthcare”, and “Healthcare for All”. Eventually another woman joined our increasing group with blank pieces of poster board, and Nate and I helped her in making even more signs that read “Healthcare Reform NOW”, “I’m Pro Life, Healthcare For All”, and a number of other signs that we quickly distributed to those around us.
Once Representative Inslee arrived and began speaking, it didn’t take long before “the crazies” interrupted him with wild bantering that could only be understood by the few people sitting nearby, rather than politely waiting their turn to ask a question. As much as I tried to mentally prepare myself, I was still shocked when I heard what so many people still believe is actually a part of this heath reform bill (i.e. death panels, or rationing care for the elderly…which is why I’m planning on writing another blog that will touch on issues I’ve heard from my own family and friends). Another common theme I heard shouted at random was that the government should not be competing with the private health insurance industries. WHAT?!?! A primary-care physician hit the nail on the head when he stood up to say that these people must own stock in the insurance companies that profit off of our illnesses! When a man interrupted him and stated that the government should not get involved, and the Dr. shot back “You are the government! We the people!” half of the people in the building, Nate and I included, shot to their feet applauding the Dr. for saying what we were all thinking!! For me, that was one of the highlights!
Overall though, I must say that it is so wonderful to see such a large number of people attend a town hall meeting, and stand up for what they believe in (even if some of these beliefs are based off of lies). Hehehehe. It’s clear that this is an issue that many people are passionate about. When Representative Inslee displayed a graph showing that the biggest group of uninsured Americans are young adults between the ages of 19 and 29 I was incredibly disappointed when I looked around and saw that Nate and I were literally only two of about five other people that fell into this age group!! The largest group of uninsured Americans wasn’t even there to represent itself! As young people, who are certainly the future of this country, we need to take a bigger stance to let our voices be heard on issues like these that directly affect us!
As I mentioned before, Nate and I both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves at the meeting. It was so fun for me to watch my husband get just as worked up as I do about the issues, and stand up to cheer when he felt someone said something truthful and worthwhile. We both got a lot of questions answered by Mr. Inslee, and are very excited to spread our wealth of knowledge (hehehe) with our family and friends…which is why I’m going to end this blog and immediately start writing another one to try and answer some questions and sort out fact from fiction!
Best of Killing Time - Culture Warriors
1 day ago

No comments:
Post a Comment