Saturday, September 13, 2008

Myspace Reply

I got a comment to my "McCain's View" blog on myspace:

Katie, Katie, Katie, I totally disagree. Through Obama's smug expression and body language while he made that comment, it is obvious that he meant it as a direct jab at Sarah Palin. Not only that, but Obama is a master orator, who selects his wording very carefully, and I find it hard to believe that he was not referring to Governor Palin. Also, about teaching sex education to kindergarteners, I definitely wouldn't want my five year old learning anything about sex or touching, or anything of that sort. That is something that needs to be taught in the home, at the parents discretion, not as CURRICULUM in the kindergarten classroom. If we were lucky enough to have the people in Washington see the constitution as our forefathers interpreted it, how much greater would our country be?! We'd have smaller government, which means lower taxes, and more money in all our pockets. We'd have a place where same-sex marriage is taboo, not accepted.Above all, we'd have a place where God is the center piece of our nation, just as our founding fathers intended!
Posted by
Annie on Sep 13, 2008

To which I replied:
Oh Annie Annie Annie! ;) A smug expression and body language are now indicators that a comment was directed or intended to insult another person?? You're right when you say that Obama is a "master orator", and had he wanted to take a direct jab at Palin, he would have done so in a more obvious tone. He clearly was directing it at McCain...who has now wrapped himself in a campaign that promises reform....yet has voted with Bush on 90% of the issues...where is the reform?? On top of that, remember that Obama was the first person to stand up for Palin and tell the media that her family was off limits...give the guy a little credit. If we're going to talk sexism and disrespect let's remember that McCain has been quoted calling Chelsea Clinton "ugly"...too bad he didn't have the same ideas that Obama has that family should be off limits.

More importantly, I completely agree with you...I would not want my five year old to be learning about inappropriate touching or sexual predators from their kindergarten teacher...I will take care of that. But let's please remember that not everyone is blessed with parents who have their children's best interest at heart...a sad truth that we must accept. It is our fundamental responsibility to make sure that children from broken and diverse backgrounds are taken care of. Yes Annie, in a perfect world, conversations about sex would not exist outside of the household...but we do not live in a perfect world...and it's naive to think that every child will get the education they need. One day, when I have children, and a permission slip comes home asking whether or not I would like my child to be present during the "sex" talk...I will politely decline...but I will also rest easy knowing that the option is available for those children that are less fortunate.

If we were "lucky" enough to have people in Washington that see the constitution as our forefathers interpreted it, how much greater would our country be?? Let's not forget that 27 amendments have been made to the constitution since it's original draft. Among these we include slavery, child labor, equal rights, voting rights...need I go on? Gay marriage a taboo?? Are we really a society more concerned with what Bill and Ted down the street are doing, than the fact that there are over 55 million people in the United States that don't have health care?? Are we really more concerned with putting more money in our pockets, than helping out those in our own country who are less fortunate? You're right. God was the center of our nation during the time of our founding fathers. He still is the center of our nation to more than 70% of Americans. I pray daily that those that are not saved will come to know God as I know Him...I pray daily that our nation would once again put the faith and trust in God that our forefathers did. I remember how blessed I am that I can practice my faith as I see fit. I also remember that thousands of people have died, and continue to die, to ensure that our nation remains "the land of the free". A place where Muslims, Jews, Mormons, Buddhists, etc....are welcome to practice their own faith. The minute that we choose to force our beliefs on others...we can no longer call ourselves the land of the free...and I think that would greatly disappoint our forefathers.

I'm also grateful that we are allowed to have different opinions and views! :) Hope all is going well.

No comments: