Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Unreliable Emails: "Christian Nation"

Here is a copy of the email:

**Dear Friends, As I was listening to a news program last night, I watched in horror as Barack Obama made the statement with pride. . ."we are no longer a Christian nation; we are now a nation of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists . . . As with so many other statements I've heard him (and his wife) make,I never thought I'd see the day I would hear something like that from a presidential candidate in this nation. To think our forefathers fought and died for the right for our nation to be a Christian nation--and to have this man say with pride that we are no longer that. How far this nation has come from what our founding fathers intended it to be. I hope each of you will do what I'm doing now - - send your concerns, written simply and sincerely, to the Christians on your email list. With God's help, and He is still in control of this nation and all else, we can show this man and the world in November that we are, indeed, still a Christian nation! Please pray for our nation!**

I've touched on this issue before...but I feel compelled now to delve into this issue.

First. This quote is ONCE AGAIN taken out of context...and it is altered to sound more appealing to the naive folks out there...that are willing to take anyone at their word.
"Given the increasing diversity of America's population, the dangers of sectarianism have never been greater. Whatever we once we, we are no longer a Christian Nation, AT LEAST NOT JUST, we are also a Jewish Nation, a Muslim Nation, and a Buddhist Nation, and a Hindu Nation, and a nation of non-believers."

Let's remember what sectarianism is: "A strong or excessive devotion to a particular form of religion, often leading to a resolute prejudice against other beliefs "

I've blogged on this issue in the past, but I guess it's time that I re post my response.

God was the center of our nation during the time of our founding fathers. He still is the center of our nation to more than 70% of Americans. I pray daily that those that are not saved will come to know God as I know Him...I pray daily that our nation would once again put the faith and trust in God that our forefathers did. I remember how blessed I am that I can practice my faith as I see fit. I also remember that thousands of people have died, and continue to die, to ensure that our nation remains "the land of the free". A place where Muslims, Jews, Mormons, Buddhists, etc....are welcome to practice their own faith. The minute that we choose to force our beliefs on others...we can no longer call ourselves the land of the free...and I think that would greatly disappoint our forefathers.

As Christians, I think its due time that we remind ourselves that we all fall short of the glory of God. Remind ourselves that God did not put us on this earth to persecute those that have different beliefs and values, but rather we are to love them as Christ loves the church! Remind ourselves that it is not our duty to judge others!! Remind ourselves that the more intolerant we become of these "other" religions...the farther we drive them away! Step down from the thrown Christians...and perhaps we can get back to the very basic challenge of loving one another!

Let's also remember our forefather Thomas Jefferson, who in 1802, saw the need for a "wall of separation" between Church and State. A separation that would protect Jews, Mormons, Buddhist, Muslims, and non-believers from being persecuted due to their religious beliefs. A separation that would protect the Muslim child from being forced to pray to a God that she does not know....a separation that allows Buddhist to choose how to worship, and not be forced into worship as they are in other countries.

Look. I don't know, or claim to know a lot about other religions. But I do know that Christians are NOT called to condemn...we are called to pray...to hope...and to love. And I think that the best way to bring people to the Lord...is to love them to Him.

So I agree with Obama. People "seek" out our county with the profound desire to experience the freedom that we take for granted everyday...

No comments: